70k mqueue.in but load under 1 ??

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at herffjones.com
Mon Nov 27 18:03:34 GMT 2006

I'm experiencing very similar symptoms here.  My queue is very backed
up, but my load average is much lower than normal, and I'm not noticing
an obvious cause.  Iowait is similarly low.

I've noticed that while mail is flowing in at a quick rate, the
MailScanner processing is not keeping up at all.  With 10 children and
batches of 30 messages each, I'm seeing batch processing taking 300
seconds per batch and that only translates to 1 message processed per
second.  Eyeballing the maillog I think I'm actually getting even less
than that.  System normally processes much more quickly.

I ran a batch using debugging for both MailScanner and SpamAssassin, but
it doesn't seem to have any timing info in the lines so after the batch
ran I can't tell how long each line took to appear.  Anyone know if
there's a way to get timing info in the spamassassin debugging output?

I'm thinking of trying to write a little perl script to accept the
output of MailScanner in debugging mode and inject timestamps after each
newline...