SV: MailScanner miss several Regning.exe files - beware zip virus

Jan Elmqvist Nielsen jen at ah.dk
Wed Nov 22 12:08:48 GMT 2006

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info [mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] På vegne af Glenn Steen
Sendt: 22. november 2006 12:52
Til: MailScanner discussion
Emne: Re: MailScanner miss several Regning.exe files - beware zip virus

On 22/11/06, Jan Elmqvist Nielsen <jen at ah.dk> wrote:
>  Attached is a zip queue file.
> None af my virus scanners detect the virus yet
>
> /jan Elmqvist Nielsen

Jan, do you mean that you _have_ filename/filetype checking on? And this slipped through?
Do you employ any rulesets for those settings in MailScanner.conf?

Looking at the file, it looks like it'd fall afoul of the filename checks, so no matter if the filetype checks worked or not, it should've been caught... Unless you axplicitly allow it (perhaps by a ruleset.).

Hi Glenn

Yes - that's correct!

I have received 49 today of which 17 wasn't stopped even though it contains af exe file!
And I can see some of the 17 also have missed the virus check! Even though f-secure can detect it!!

MS 4.54.6 on FC4

/Jan Elmqvist Nielsen