Use MailScanner and Spamassassin spamd

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Tue Nov 21 17:17:04 GMT 2006

Leah Kubik wrote:
> I am wondering if it might be possible to run spamd on a server that is
> running MailScanner and not have major issues?

Why? it would be considerably slower.

MailScanner uses SA at the API level (ie: Mail::SpamAssassin), and does so on a
persistent basis, therefore it acts as it's own spamd. Calling an external
process would be considerably slower.

The usual 'use spamd instead of spamassassin' applies only to folks using the
spamassassin commandline script. MailScanner uses neither and directly loads a
Mail::SpamAssassin instance into its own process space.