log is flotting with messages

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 09:12:34 GMT 2006

On 20/11/06, redhat at techspace.nl <redhat at techspace.nl> wrote:
> Quoting Glenn Steen <glenn.steen at gmail.com>:
(snip)
> > Being slightly tipsy (yes, I *know* it's a Sunday, but we had the
> > final (well...:-) performance with the choir today... And the usual
> > post mortem/beer, snaps and sausages afterwards (Some Mendelssohn,
> > Bainton and Vaughn Williams, for those interested in such:-),  can't
> > say my precision is the best... Double-check everything with a
> > MailScanner --help;-).
> > IIRC (which is doubtful, considering my state:) you should run a
> > "MailScanner --debug --debug-spamassassin" and send one message
> > through. It'll output the debug info to the terminal you run it from,
> > and then exit.

Less tipsy today (more's the pity:-), and the command would be
something like (after stopping MailScanner, of course)
MailScanner --debug --debug-sa
or look around for the more manual method (editing MailScanner.conf etc).

> >> things so far no mail is transfered as long as i set the option
> >> Use SpamAssassin = yes if i disable this option mailscanner works.
> >> I can start SpamAssassin with /etc/init.d/SpamAssassin start and there
> >> are no problems in the log.
> >> My setup mta=postfix on fedora core 6
> >
> > Hm, Drew should chip in here:-).

Or some of you other postfixing freebsders:-).

> >> lasts lines of the log these repaeats over and over.
> >> Nov 19 15:26:48 localhost MailScanner[10323]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus
> >> Scanner version 4.55.1 starting...
> >> Nov 19 15:26:49 localhost MailScanner[10323]: Read 747 hostnames from
> >> the phishing whitelist
> >> Nov 19 15:26:50 localhost MailScanner[10323]: Using SpamAssassin
> >> results cache
> >> Nov 19 15:26:50 localhost MailScanner[10323]: Connected to
> >> SpamAssassin cache database
> >> Nov 19 15:26:50 localhost MailScanner[10323]: Enabling SpamAssassin
> >> auto-whitelist functionality...
> >>
> >> Is there a problem with the white list.
> >> I'm running the same setup on fedora core4 no problem.
> >>
> >> any advise thanks jasper
> >
> > Gut feeling is that this is a permissions related problem. Did you set
> > a User State Dir (in MailScanner.conf) for SA? If you become your
> > postfix user and run spamassassin --lint, does that work? Does it work
> > when running a message through (spamassassin -t <
> > /path/to/message/file)? Usually the postfix user need you to specify a
> > shell, as in
> > su - postfix -s /bin/bash
> > ... or similar. Check that the user can find and read things like
> > bayes db files, AWL etc etc.
> >

> i ran the lint commants
> spamassassin -D -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf --lint
> output no problems
> MailScanner --lint
> output:
> Read 747 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
> MailScanner setting GID to  (89)
> MailScanner setting UID to  (89)
> Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
> Using SpamAssassin results cache
> Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
> perl: ldap-nss.c:1312: do_init: Bewering
> `cfg->ldc_uris[__session.ls_current_uri] != ((void *)0)' mislukt.
> Geannuleerd
>
> sorry output is dutch but vales at the last line's

I think I'll manage:-)... Something seems to be up with that ldap-nss
thing, and a quick google on "perl: ldap-nss.c" gives a few results
(mainly troubled FreeBSD users:), although perhaps no resolution.
Anyway, that error could well be the root of your troubles.
As to resolutions (here is where you FreeBSD experts should start
chipping in:-)... One could suspect that that failed call is either to
do with the Phishing net, or perhaps (just by it following on the
heels of the "Connected to..." line) the SpamAssassin cache database.
Try first disabling the result cache, then (if that didn't help) the
phishing net. If either helps, you at least know where it borks out,
and have a somewhat workable workaround (namely "don't do that
then";-).

Have you checked the cache DB, for readability by your postfix user?
Sometimes the devil is in the small details, when it comes to
postfix:-):-)

> What does this mean.

That that call didn't work:-).
Hopefully someone with
a) a better knowledge of FreeBSD, and
b) more coffee in that persons system (I'm trying to cut back... 7
mug-sized esspressos/day isn't good for me:-).

--
-- Glenn