OT: Wiki - Postfix SMTP recipient verification

TCIS List Acct listacct at tulsaconnect.com
Mon Nov 20 17:05:14 GMT 2006

Steve Freegard wrote:
> Hi Postfixers,
>
> I've just added a how-to to the MailScanner Wiki to do the Sendmail
> 'milter-ahead' SMTP recipient verification equivalent in native Postfix
> which is far easier than building recipient maps for mail systems that
> can reject unknown users at the SMTP stage.
>
> See
> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:configuration:mta:postfix:how_to:reject_non_existent_users#using_smtp_recipient_verification
> for the info.
>
> I'm surprised you Postfixers didn't beat me to it - so now you've got a
> Sendmailer editing your Wiki entries ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Steve.

FWIW, we are doing this with exim now via ACLs, in the acl_check_rcpt (near the
bottom):

   deny message = user unknown
         domains = +route_to_domains
         !verify = recipient/callout=10s,defer_ok

(+route_to_domains is a SQL lookup that checks to see if the domain is one that
we route mail to a "hidden" mailhub for, and one that we don't do other type of
RCPT checks for, such as LDAP)

We then have a router set up that pulls the IP of the mailhub, and the callout
uses that to do the verify against..

Mike Bacher / listacct at tulsaconnect.com
TCIS - TulsaConnect Internet Services
http://www.tulsaconnect.com