Massive queue buildup

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Sat Nov 18 00:57:15 GMT 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 02:23:40PM -0800, Scott Silva wrote:
> Chandler, Jay spake the following on 11/15/2006 12:58 PM:
> > *deadpan* A workout?  If only I had a massive queue for it to process. :-D
> >
> > The new box was apparently specced somewhere in the third world (Like Maine), so right now I have two boxes running mail:
> >
> > An older box that keeps screaming under the load, and has the massive buildup
> >
> > or
> >
> > A new box that has an incompatible NIC that crashes the server every two hours (new one overnighted, will be in tomorrow), an issue where it hangs on reboot, and a paltry 1 gig of RAM.
> >
> > And to think, I could have been a plumber...
> >
> As a plumber you are only up to your KNEES in crap!
> As a sysop it usually gets much deeper.

More than once I've told my boss I wanted to transfer from the IT division
to the Construction[1] division, so that I could point with pride to the
ditch I dug. As things stand, all I've got is `tail -f` running on a lot of
logfiles to show people what I do, and a bunch of dry reports and graphs.
They mostly don't get to see the spam, and so aren't aware of it, but when
they do see it, I catch H*** for it.

As a matter of fact, my boss remarked today that he had forwarded a piece
of false-negative spam to my spambucket today, and that it was the first
he had seen in quite some time.

Thanks to Julian and all the other folks whose work I'm using.

[1]  I work for a highway department.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx