Sendmail reject trumps whitelist?

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Thu Nov 16 21:13:53 GMT 2006

Brett Charbeneau wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Brett Charbeneau wrote:
>
>> 	MANY thanks to all those who responded to my quesstion! As usual
for
>> this list, excellent and generous responses all.
>> 	Especially to Phil Randal and Alisdair Davey to whom I say, as
>> Nathan said to King David (2 Samuel 12:7), "You are the man!"
>
> 	Okay, off-topic here and please tell me to go away if I'm asking
in
> the wrong place but I think this may help MailScanner users in the
> 	future: For Sendmail, in the /etc/mail/access file there is
> reference to whitelisted users in this format:
>
> Spam:postmaster@        FRIEND
>
> 	and in my install of MS, in
/opt/MailScanner/etc/MailScanner.conf
> there is
>
> Is Definitely Not Spam = /opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.whitelist.rules
>
> 	any chance I can get Sendmail to refer to this file as well so I
only
> have one whitelist to maintain?

Nope.  The have completely different formats.  Also, the sendmail access
file must be made into a hashed database file.  Sendmail doesn't
actually read it, it reads access.db.  To make the access.db file you
need to issue the following command:

	#makemap hash access < access

in your /etc/mail directory.

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500