Sendmail reject trumps whitelist?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 17:25:32 GMT 2006

On 16/11/06, Brett Charbeneau <brett at wrl.org> wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
>         I've set up sendmail to reject incoming messages with a 554 error if
> they are listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net by sticking this line in my sendmail.mc file:
>
> FEATURE(`dnsbl',`dnsbl.sorbs.net',`"554 Rejected " $&{client_addr} > "
> BLACKLISTED found in dnsbl.sorbs.net"')dnl
>
>         Now this list tends to get mad a AOL and Hotmail mail servers for
> obvious reasons and therefore ALL mail from these domains, legit or not, gets
> rejected.
>         I'm trying to figure out if a sender's address is specifically
> whitelisted in MS *AND* their server is on dnsbl.sorbs.net if the sender will
> get rejected or allowed for delivery.
>         I'm betting the Sendmail reject comes first in the process, but I'm
> asking those in the know to be sure...

Since MailScanner happens after the MTA has accepted the mail, and the
BL reject you have there happens before the MTA has accepted it, the
sendmail config "wins" every time. You need figure out how to
"whitelist" in sendmail to defeat that, or use a less aggressive BL.
Since I¨m not a sendmail guru, someone else'll have to help you with
any "whitelisting" there:-).

--
-- Glenn