Sendmail reject trumps whitelist?

Brett Charbeneau brett at wrl.org
Thu Nov 16 17:03:33 GMT 2006

Greetings all,

 	I've set up sendmail to reject incoming messages with a 554 error if
they are listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net by sticking this line in my sendmail.mc file:

FEATURE(`dnsbl',`dnsbl.sorbs.net',`"554 Rejected " $&{client_addr} > "
BLACKLISTED found in dnsbl.sorbs.net"')dnl

 	Now this list tends to get mad a AOL and Hotmail mail servers for
obvious reasons and therefore ALL mail from these domains, legit or not, gets
rejected.
 	I'm trying to figure out if a sender's address is specifically
whitelisted in MS *AND* their server is on dnsbl.sorbs.net if the sender will
get rejected or allowed for delivery.
 	I'm betting the Sendmail reject comes first in the process, but I'm
asking those in the know to be sure...

Brett Charbeneau
Network Administrator
Williamsburg Regional Library