Filename.rules.conf (attachment filename scanning) not working after upgrade

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 14:18:25 GMT 2006

On 14/11/06, Filip Nollet <filip.nollet at hogent.be> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Upgraded to latest release of MailScanner 4.56.8-1. But after a while I
> noted that I didn't receive any notifications anymore of files being
> quarantined because of bad filenames.
>
> Checked the upgraded configfile and the necessary options were still there
> (I am just showing the obvious config options):

(snip)

> The filename.rules.conf file is the new file from the rpm package with one
> change in it: zip files get a "deny" and are thus not allowed.
> MailScanner logs show no errors, warnings etc at all; all the attachments
> are just not scanned for bad names
> Virus scanning, TNEF expansion etc is working fine however.
>
> Am I looking over something here? I have been using MailScanner for some
> years now on 5 different e-mail servers and have no idea why it is acting so
> strange after an upgrade? It is happening on 3 of the upgraded servers (the
> other 2 do not do filename scanning).
>
> Has it something to do with the new filename options?

Probably not.
Try
MailScanner --lint
MailScanner --changed
MailScanner --debug
where the first runs through a syntax check (likely will find your
problem:-), the second lists what options you've changed from the
default setting (might help "detect" some inconsistencies), and the
thisrd (which you should run when MailScanner is stopped) will run
through a "one message debug run".

--
-- Glenn