Filename.rules.conf (attachment filename scanning) not working after upgrade

Filip Nollet filip.nollet at hogent.be
Tue Nov 14 13:52:37 GMT 2006

Hi all,

Upgraded to latest release of MailScanner 4.56.8-1. But after a while I
noted that I didn't receive any notifications anymore of files being
quarantined because of bad filenames.

Checked the upgraded configfile and the necessary options were still there
(I am just showing the obvious config options):

Scan Messages = yes
Reject Message = no
Maximum Attachments Per Message = 200
Expand TNEF = yes
Use TNEF Contents = replace
Deliver Unparsable TNEF = yes
TNEF Expander = /usr/bin/tnef --maxsize=100000000
TNEF Timeout = 120
Maximum Message Size = 0
Maximum Attachment Size = -1
Minimum Attachment Size = -1
Maximum Archive Depth = 0
Find Archives By Content = no
Virus Scanning = yes
Virus Scanners = trend
Virus Scanner Timeout = 300
Deliver Disinfected Files = no
Silent Viruses = All-Viruses
Still Deliver Silent Viruses = no
Non-Forging Viruses = Joke/ OF97/ WM97/ W97M/ Zip-Password eicar
Block Encrypted Messages = no
Block Unencrypted Messages = no
Allow Password-Protected Archives = no
Dangerous Content Scanning = no
Allow Partial Messages = no
Allow External Message Bodies = yes
Find Phishing Fraud = yes
Also Find Numeric Phishing = yes
Use Stricter Phishing Net = yes
Highlight Phishing Fraud = yes
Phishing Safe Sites File = %etc-dir%/phishing.safe.sites.conf
Country Sub-Domains List = %etc-dir%/country.domains.conf
Allow IFrame Tags = yes
Allow Form Tags = yes
Allow Script Tags = yes
Allow WebBugs = yes
Ignored Web Bug Filenames =
Web Bug Replacement =
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/images/1x1spacer.gif
Allow Object Codebase Tags = yes
Convert Dangerous HTML To Text = no
Convert HTML To Text = no
Allow Filenames =
Deny Filenames =
Filename Rules = %etc-dir%/filename.rules.conf
Allow Filetypes =
Deny Filetypes =
Filetype Rules =
Quarantine Infections = yes
Quarantine Silent Viruses = no
Quarantine Modified Body = no
Quarantine Whole Message = yes
Quarantine Whole Messages As Queue Files = yes
MailScanner Version Number = 4.56.8

The filename.rules.conf file is the new file from the rpm package with one
change in it: zip files get a "deny" and are thus not allowed.
MailScanner logs show no errors, warnings etc at all; all the attachments
are just not scanned for bad names
Virus scanning, TNEF expansion etc is working fine however.

Am I looking over something here? I have been using MailScanner for some
years now on 5 different e-mail servers and have no idea why it is acting so
strange after an upgrade? It is happening on 3 of the upgraded servers (the
other 2 do not do filename scanning).

Has it something to do with the new filename options?

Regards,

Filip Nollet

======================================
Filip Nollet
System &
Network Management

Hogeschool Gent
Department ICT
Schoonmeersstraat 52
9000 Gent
Belgium

Tel: +32 (0)9 248 88 87
Fax: +32 (0)9 243 87 70
E-Mail: filip.nollet at hogent.be

GPG info: ED892C1B
Fingerprint:  265E CFDE 6880 A968 64F4 85E6 4DC4 353C ED89 2C1B