Massive queue buildup

Brent Addis brent.addis at pronet.co.nz
Mon Nov 13 22:42:32 GMT 2006

Check your not running one of those massive blacklists from SARE.

I was running one for a while while testing and a similar thing happened. removing it dropped my average scan time from ~2 1/2 minutes to 11 seconds per message.

Other ideas:

- Check your dns servers are capable of standing up to the amount of dns requests you are making. Running something like nscd locally is a good idea.

- Are you running very many RBL's within mailscanner? Try disabling these and see if it helps.

- Are you running any type of recipient verification? (as in, checking that the person being sent the mail actually exists). If not, try turning it on. I am unsure what it is called within postfix as I don't use it.

- Check out http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=maq:index#optimization_tips which has a few others as well.

How much mail are you handling a day? I have a couple of single cpu 3.0 ghz machines comfortably handling many thousands of messages a day.