Notify Senders question

Dennis Willson taz at taz-mania.com
Wed Nov 8 23:54:42 GMT 2006

I would think that you would want to notify the recipient.
If you had a user that sent a virus and didn't know it... then if
neither the sender or recipient was informed, neither would know the
email never arrived, or was striped of an attachment.

On an incoming email since so many of the from addresses of Spam
and/or virus senders are bogus, you wouldn't want to notify the sender
as that would be as bad as Spamming them. However, for those that come
from real senders to your real users, you would want them to know
someone is trying to send them something, but it's not getting through
instead of it just disappearing (wouldn't you?).

My configuration uses a set of receiving hubs that then forward to the
real mail servers, and a different out-going set of servers (smart
hosts). I have different rules for each. On the incoming it only
notifies the recipients and on the outgoing it notifies the senders
too (which are all only internal senders) A send also cannot spoof
their outgoing address because even for local outgoing they must login
using SMTP auth and the outgoing server only accepts from our domain,
any from that is not our domain is rejected. Also no direct port 25
access is allowed to/from the outside world.

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 17:28:35 -0800
  "Jason Williams" <jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com> wrote:
>Something that is odd right now.
>
>I have setup MS to NOT notify any senders if they send a virus,
>blocked
>files, blocked content, basically everything.
>
>In a quick test, I sent it from my account to a outside account and
>noticed that it did not notify me (the sender) which is great.
>However,
>it notified the recipient.
>
>Is there a way to disable that?
>Or is that built in and should it be that way?
>
>-Thanks
>
>--
>believed to be clean.

Dennis Willson

taz at taz-mania.com
http://www.taz-mania.com

Ham (Extra Class): ka6lsw
Scuba: Rescue Diver, EANx, Wreck, Night, Alt, Equip, UW Photographer,
Gas Blender

Owner: Kepnet Internet Services

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a nice looking and well preserved body, but rather
to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"