Overriding SBL+XBL on a DHCP address

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Nov 2 17:27:21 GMT 2006

Andrew spake the following on 11/2/2006 4:32 AM:
> Hi,
> I have a DHCP address at home (with a dns name I update
> if it changes ... using my own script ...)
> My server running MailScanner has a fixed IP so it's no
> problem.
> (I also have an auto update process running at home, on
> the server sendmail access file)
> What happened recently (and I need to get a new lease to fix)
> is that my DHCP IP address showed up in SBL+XBL
> My home server does smart forwarding to my mail server
> Because of this, all my email was being dumped by the spam
> filter.
> I guess there is a simple solution to this problem?
> How can I whitelist my DHCP IP address?
> I did try whitelisting the name, but couldn't seem to get it
> to work without specifying the IP address by number (which is
> of course not much use)
> I tried listing my internal IP subnet first but that didn't
> work coz the spam filter seems to only check the previous
> IP address in the path list?
> Also, I'm using an old version of MailScanner: 4.38.10
>
> Here's the edited whitelist file.
> It didn't work until the last line was added.
>
> spam.whitelist.rules
> --------------------
> # This is where you can build a Spam WhiteList
> # Addresses matching in here, with the value
> # "yes" will never be marked as spam.
> FromOrTo:       default         no
> From:           /^192\.168\.ccc\./        yes
> From:   nam1.nam2.nam3.com       yes
> From:   /^aaa\.bbb\.xxx\.yyy/    yes
>

> -Thanks for any help

Where are you using the blacklist? In MailScanner, spamassassin or the MTA.
You could also use some magic with sed to change the ip address in the
whitelist.rules and force a reload whenever the ip address changes.
Or have your server come in on a different port that doesn't have MailScanner
running.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and