MailScanner ANNOUNCE: 4.54.6 released

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun May 28 17:03:23 IST 2006

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Jules, I'm somewhat unhappy about the "uncoordinated" use of perl packages
> and names. I think the use of widely available rpm distributions is
> preferrable to installing three packages with the same functionality but
> different names that in the end seem to be the same perl module name and
> overwrite the exact same files in the perl tree. I don't think this does
> any good to the Perl installation.
> If MailScanner uses packages of its own that are bundled only with
> MailScanner I think they should be named in a way that makes that clear
> (f.i. perl-MailScanner-packagename) and get their own *module name* so
> that they don't overwrite each other with the same module but different
> rpm name.
> I'm not a Perl guru, though, and my gut feeling may be wrong.
>
> f.i. module Filesys::Df
> this got introduced as:
> perl-Filesys-Statvfs_Statfs_Df-0.78-1.src.rpm
> now you changed it to:
> perl-Filesys-Df-0.90-1.src.rpm
> (where I can't find any other source for than your tar.gz)

Here is the original posting I had from the author of Statfs and
Filesys::Df telling me exactly what I should use. So sorry Kai, but...

----------QUOTE-----------
Hey guys, I got an email from someone yesterday because they were using
MailScanner and apparently it requires Filesys::Df? Anyway he was using
the dist Filesys-Statvfs_Statfs_Df 0.75 which is somewhat old. There was
a known bug with that version that kept it from installing on a few
versions of BSD.

I recently revamped the entire module, fixed a few bugs, added some
features, and tried to make the way it detects system calls more robust.
It should be totally backwards compatible with what you are using now.
You can download it here:
http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/I/IG/IGUTHRIE/Filesys-Df-0.90.tar.gz

I also recently wrote another module that works on Windows as well as
Unix if you guys have a Windows version. It is called
Filesys::DfPortable. The only difference is that by default it returns
bytes instead of blocks. So if you use it in place of Filesys::Df you
need to make sure you take that into account or just specify a block
size as a second argument.

Have a good one.

Cheers,
Ian