Thoughts please: 4.54.4 as a stable?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu May 25 22:01:17 IST 2006

Julian Field spake the following on 5/25/2006 11:15 AM:
> Daniel Maher wrote:
>> I recently inherited a set of incoming mail servers running Postfix
>> 2.0 and MailScanner 4.51.  They handle around 400,000 pieces of mail
>> per day.  I am considering upgrading both Postfix and MailScanner for
>> efficiency purposes (the newer versions of both are purported to be
>> faster), but I am wary about fixing something that isn't broken (so to
>> speak).
>>
> The major speed increases were up to 4.50. Is 4.54 much faster than 4.51?
>> I would very much appreciate any and all commentary as to whether
>> 4.54.x is stable, and whether it can be relied on for a reasonably
>> large-scale mail operations in the global enterprise.
>>
> The current differences between 4.54.4 and the proposed 4.54.5 are
> (These give you a good idea of the stability as I have addressed every
> known problem with 4.54.4 in 4.54.5)
>
> 5 Added Net::IP Perl module as it is needed for SpamAssassin and Net::DNS.
> 5 Improved handling of Unicode encoded subject lines with a few trailing
> spaces.
> 5 Fresh translation of German languges.conf file.
> 5 Fixed bug in sophos-wrapper caused by confusion between Sophos V4 and V5.
> 5 Fixed bug stopping regexp rule /^$/ from working properly in rulesets.
>
> That is the total list of all known problems in 4.54 and improvements
> made to 4.54.5. I will release 4.54.5 as another beta (with no known
> problems at all) if you want me to.
>
> I suspect the only thing you actually might want is the new
> sophos-wrapper which I have posted to the list already, a couple of days
> ago.

If you are releasing another beta, and nothing jumps up by the end of the
month, I woild say to just call it stable and leave it at that. Ur just
rebuild it as 4.54.6 for any body that just looks at the download area.

Julian, have you ever considered making a symlink to the latest stable
release, and pointing it to the current stable? Something like
MailScanner.stable.rpm.tar.gz (or ???).
Then maybe a build script could be created for any one who would like it.
Something akin to the DCC build cron job.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and