MailScanner is responsible for SWAP usage!

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Mon May 22 01:42:00 IST 2006

I believe we should add ESR's "how to ask questions the smart way" at:

to the list footer. It could point people in the right direction.

One thing I've noticed is that the best way to get help when you can't
properly diagnose the situation is to ask help on how to diagnose it
(perhaps with an OT: prefix). If you *do* know how to diagnose it
properly,  then posting a complete detail of what you diagnosed, steps
taken, results expected, etc. will give you a much higher probability of
getting help than if you don't.

For example, I see a lot of "use vmstat and iogleekzorp, then get the
output of the tornpee command and pipe it through blekzap so you can
tell how many hyperspanning buffers are stuck in a temporal loop because
of the tachyon-chroniton exposure due to triolic radiation in the
dylithium chamber". Or something like that.

I have absolutely *no* idea how to go *that* deep into the system in
order to diagnose. I just use a bit of logic and some poking around, in
a completely unscientific (for example, "the red hard disk light seems
to blink a lot less now") way, and it usually works.

I *do* know better than to act outright hostile (or to even give the
opportunity for my message to be interpreted as hostile) if I don't like
an answer. See:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0515/p13s01-stct.html
http://www.webfoot.com/advice/email.intonation.html

In any case, *THE FOLLOWING IS A JOKE*:
<joke>
Suggested procmail recipe to deal with this particular problem:

:0:
* ^From: .*thenamegame.com
/dev/null
</joke>