MailScanner is responsible for SWAP usage!

Raymond Dijkxhoorn raymond at prolocation.net
Sun May 21 19:01:42 IST 2006

Hi!

> With 200 websites on one server we have never seen a load above .50 even at
> 4am when the box is running daily crons.
>
> Without MailScanner installed our SWAP usage is ZERO. After we placed these
> servers into production 3 weeks ago we let the server run without MS to make
> sure they were stable. Swap space prior to installing MS was still zero.
>
> Last week we install MS with only 3 child processes selected in
> MailScanner.conf. Now our swap space has started to increase on a daily
> basis. One one box for example swap space is already at 650K and rising. So
> that would mean that MS is responsible as we have Zero swapping without MS
> installed.

Whats your point? So it uses RAM? Feel free to switch it off.

We have a couple of dual opterons running, processing a couple of hundred
thousand mails a day, also 4 GIG RAM inside, no swapping at all there. So
it must be a combination of what you are doing on the box.

[root at vmx100 ~]# free
Mem:       4046976    3771184     275792          0     288720     251280
-/+ buffers/cache:    3231184     815792
Swap:      4192956          0    4192956

[root at vmx100 ~]# w
  19:56:56 up 11 days,  4:35,  1 user,  load average: 1.11, 1.21, 1.25
USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU WHAT
root     pts/0    ns2.prolocation. 19:56    0.00s  0.01s  0.00s w

Knowing this box is processing 2-5 mbit/s mailflow continuesly i can
really say, please provide more info, and also, what you wanna know. Your
posting is somehow open and only telling it used ram. Yes, MS uses ram,
read the FAQ thats pretty normal.

We have the mailscanner boxes running dedicated, might be wise to try
something alike.

Bye,
Raymond.