MailScanner is responsible for SWAP usage!

Michael S. admin at thenamegame.com
Sun May 21 18:52:59 IST 2006

We are running a bunch of new Dual Opterton w/L2 cache servers running dual
SCSI drives and 4GB of ram.

With 200 websites on one server we have never seen a load above .50 even at
4am when the box is running daily crons.

Without MailScanner installed our SWAP usage is ZERO. After we placed these
servers into production 3 weeks ago we let the server run without MS to make
sure they were stable. Swap space prior to installing MS was still zero.

Last week we install MS with only 3 child processes selected in
MailScanner.conf. Now our swap space has started to increase on a daily
basis. One one box for example swap space is already at 650K and rising. So
that would mean that MS is responsible as we have Zero swapping without MS
installed.

:-(