Custom function white/black list bug?

Richard Lynch rich at mail.wvnet.edu
Sat May 20 03:32:11 IST 2006

Hello Julian,

I'm afraid you're the only one who can answer this since it's your
code.  Thanks for any insight you can give.

I'm using the by domain whitelist/blacklist custom functions.  I'm
trying to whitelist a particular "To:" address (abuse at our_domain).  I've
put that entry into the /etc/MailScanner/spam.bydomain/whitelist/default
file.  However, when someone sends a spam report to our abuse address it
gets flagged as spam and gets deleted.  I'm not sure if this is a bug or
not.  Perhaps this facility was designed only for the "From:" address
and not the "To:" address.

Looking at the code there are the following lines....

  return 1 if $BlackWhite->{'default'}{$from};
  return 1 if $BlackWhite->{'default'}{$fromdomain};
  return 1 if $BlackWhite->{'default'}{$ip};

There is not a lookup for the "To:" address ($to).  So, I added the
following line after the above lines.

  return 1 if $BlackWhite->{'default'}{$to};

This appears to have corrected the problem.  Are there unexpected
consequences to doing this ???   Is this something that should be done?
If it's OK would you consider adding it to the distribution?

Note:  I may be completely off base in my understanding of the code!

Thanks.

-- Rich