SA Scoring

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Wed May 17 16:40:09 IST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dhawal Doshy" <dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com>
To: "MailScanner discussion" <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 11:07 AM
Subject: Re: SA Scoring

> Drew Marshall wrote:
>> On Tue, May 16, 2006 23:08, Scott Silva wrote:
>>> --[UxBoD]-- spake the following on 5/16/2006 3:09 PM:
>>
>>> As for a starter database, you can go to
>>> http://www.fsl.com/support.html
>>> It should get your bayes working right away. It will still take time to
>>> build
>>> accuracy, but should get you started.
>
> I would recommend that you manage to create your own database from scratch
> in a few weeks, rather than using the starter database forever.
>
> A starter is meant for just starting out, nothing more. The accuracy will
> always be higher in a manually picked (your own) spam/ham learning as
> compared to a started database.

I've always wondered about this point. As the spam we receive seems to run
in particular spurts from particular spammers with specific content, the
saved emails that I might keep to start up a new db file would appear to be
outdated whenever I needed them again for priming the new db.

Granted, it would be more pertinent to use spam to my mailservers than to
use a generic starter DB, but would I gain anything other than having the
required 200 mails, no matter which set of emails I use? The 'seen' stuff
may be unseen forever again.

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com
Charleston Newspapers