Retrieve quarantine email

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at fsl.com
Tue May 16 04:08:05 IST 2006

You noticed :)

MailWatch is a very integral part of DefenderMX since Steve Freegard is a
partner in FSL and now works full time with us. We use the MailWatch "Recent
Messages" screens on our web page because they are eye catching, beautifully
designed and more colorful that the other screens that are used to configure
MailScanner - actually the MailScanner screens are not that boring  - just
not as colorful.

There are a few MailWatch features that are more easily implemented in
DefenderMX than in MailWatch because we've extended the MailWatch with
authentication modules which are not part of MailWatch or MailScanner.
DefenderMX can be easily configured to accept mail for many domains. Email
for each domain may be forwarded to a different back end mail hub and each
domain may use a different authentication method.

One of the "must have" specifications for the DefenderMX design was that "no
user state or passwords should ever be maintained on the gateways". We
accomplish this by allowing user or domain administrator logins for viewing
Recent Messages, setting individual or domain configurations or running
reports by authenticating the user / domain administrator login against the
mail hub. If the email address can authenticate on the mail hub we give them
access to the appropriate information on the gateways. These features also
make it easier for us to send out quarantine reports by domains.

I'd also like to emphasize that it's our pledge that the Open Source
versions of MailScanner and MailWatch will always use the same code base.
All of the improvements that Steve and Julian have or will develop for
DefenderMX and MailWatch have been or will be implemented in the open source
versions and all of us are committed to never "forking" the code base of
either application.

In fact Steve's development of the code for MailWatch 2.0 is well underway.
We need to subsidize the development of this code first because it is such
an essential part of our new DefenderMX 2.0 release.

We are also contracting with Anthony Howe to co-develop some new, exciting
and very effective comprehensive milters for DefenderMX 2.0 based on
development and test work that Steve and Anthony have recently completed.
milter-link (free from www.snertsoft.com) is just one of the results of this
collaboration. If you're using sendmail, you should definitely test this
milter.

I find it interesting that most of our DefenderMX users are not current
users of the MailScanner or MailWatch open source applications. They are
ISPs, ASP's and commercial or educational sites that have very limited
experience with open source applications. They want the "gain with out the
pain" of all that Julian and Steve have worked so hard to provide. They want
simple installation, configuration, web based control for users and
administrators, low TCO and expect the support that comes (sometimes) with
commercial applications.

The really exciting thing for me personally is that once these newbies see
what Linux and open source can do, they tend to take a much more open
approach to using Linux and open source. Plus we've got a lot more
MailScanner users than there would have been if DefenderMX wasn't so simple
to install and configure.

Sorry for the windy explanation but it's late and I wanted to make clear
that the MailScanner and MailWatch features and enhancements we develop for
DefenderMX will never be withheld from the Open Source community.  I feel
that giving users the choice of open source and / or commercially supported
open source applications can only help us all.

I almost forgot, if you're using MailScanner - "buy the book" and check
Julian's wish list!

G'night

Steve

Stephen Swaney