Mail disaster - semi-new system

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Tue May 16 01:47:30 IST 2006

A new hint just arrived. One of my many test messages just generated a
bounce, here's a snip:

procmail: Couldn't create "/var/mail/vanhorn"
procmail: Error while writing to "/var/log/maillog"
<vanhorn at verbose.twistedhistory.com>... Deferred: local mailer (/usr/bin/procmail) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL

Suddenly I'm wondering what's with "/var/mail/vanhorn" as mail on this
machine get written to /var/spool/mail as far as I know. There is a
/var/mail, but it's a link to /var/spool/mail anyway. Privs on
/var/spool/mail were 755 and owned by root, I just did go+w on it to
eliminate that possibility, but it doesn't look like it actually changed
anything.

Van

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/