Mail disaster - semi-new system

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Tue May 16 01:33:23 IST 2006

Jon Radel wrote:

>G. Armour Van Horn wrote:
>

>>I don't think so, I am sure I didn't choose to install SELinux when I
>>set this up, and when I invoke "system-config-securitylevel" there is
>>nothing to play with other than the firewall - which I have turned off.
>>(The machine is behind a damned good firewall already, and the
>>command-line tools for configuring the firewall on the Fedora box aren't
>>too helpful if you want to open more than a couple non-standard ports.)
>>A quick search just now suggests that, if I had SELinux running, there
>>would be a tab for it in system-config-securitylevel.
>>

>Just for grins, you might want to, as root, try the command
>
>/usr/sbin/sestatus -v
>
>and look what's in /etc/sysconfig/selinux if anything.
>
>See http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc5/#id2959210 for the
>selinux as used in Fedora Core 5 FAQ (which you may well have already
>looked at).
>
>--Jon Radel

Well, that's interesting, it seems I am running it. (See below) I'll
trundle off and look at that page.

Do I want to be running SELinux for some reason? Will it make my life
better in sufficient ways to justify the grief it will cause me to have
one server behave differently than the others?

Van

[root at verbose mail]# /usr/sbin/sestatus -v
SELinux status:                 enabled
SELinuxfs mount:                /selinux
Current mode:                   enforcing
Mode from config file:          enforcing
Policy version:                 20
Policy from config file:        targeted

Process contexts:
Current context:
root:system_r:unconfined_t:SystemLow-SystemHigh
Init context:                   system_u:system_r:init_t
/sbin/mingetty                  system_u:system_r:getty_t
/usr/sbin/sshd
system_u:system_r:unconfined_t:SystemLow-SystemHigh

File contexts:
Controlling term:               root:object_r:devpts_t
/etc/passwd                     root:object_r:etc_runtime_t
/etc/shadow                     root:object_r:etc_runtime_t
/bin/bash                       system_u:object_r:shell_exec_t
/bin/login                      system_u:object_r:login_exec_t
/bin/sh                         system_u:object_r:bin_t ->
system_u:object_r:shell_exec_t
/sbin/agetty                    system_u:object_r:getty_exec_t
/sbin/init                      system_u:object_r:init_exec_t
/sbin/mingetty                  system_u:object_r:getty_exec_t
/usr/sbin/sshd                  system_u:object_r:sshd_exec_t
/lib/libc.so.6                  system_u:object_r:lib_t ->
system_u:object_r:lib_t
/lib/ld-linux.so.2              system_u:object_r:lib_t ->
system_u:object_r:ld_so_t

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/