Mail Server's BackUp Tool ?

Martin Hepworth martinh at solid-state-logic.com
Thu May 11 09:15:31 IST 2006

Hi

Depends on what files you want to backup...

I backup my MailScanner machine with Amanda (www.amanda.org) and make sure
all my O/S is documented so I can do a bare metal restore fairly quickly.

Depending on quickly you need to restore the service I'd look at RAID ed
disks and possibly a clustering of MailScanner hosts.

There's also some nice tools for sending out an O/S config to machines -
there was a recent Slashdot question on that, have a look at some of the
tools mentioned there.

Think risks, what are risks, what's the impact of that risk happening (along
with timescales - a 5 minute outage might not have big impact but a 2 week
may have a larger ramification), what is the likelihood of the risk (theft
might be low, but disk failure could be high) then think of the appropriate
controls (procedures and technologies) to reduce that risk.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

the system manager.