SPARC Solaris 10?

randyf at sibernet.com randyf at sibernet.com
Sun May 7 17:16:50 IST 2006

On Sun, 7 May 2006, Mike Tremaine wrote:

> Ouch :/... As I mentioned in my other post perlgcc is what you want. To
> use CPAN you do
>
> perlgcc -MCPAN -e shell
>
> It's annoying to remember but Sun has it's own compiler that they use to
> build everything including Perl so without this you will fail on all
> builds with gcc [related to perl].

   Perl in S10 is built to allow for modules to be compiled with either the
Studio compiler or gcc.  It even provides gcc in /usr/sfw.  As I mentioned
in a previous message, I have successfully installed Perl modules into the
Sun Perl distro using the gcc in /usr/sfw, and one that I obtained via
blastwave.  Making sure that OPTIMIZE, CCFLAGS, and CCCDLFAGS are all
cleared as arguments to Makefile.PL solves any compiler incompatibilities.

> Also long as I'm typing I should also say you'll want to edit
>
> /var/svc/manifest/network/smtp-sendmail.xml
> and
> /lib/svc/method/smtp-sendmail
>
> If you want to to get MailScanner running from the sendmail startup
> scripts.

   NO!  Dont edit the original Solaris manifest _or_ method!  This will
cause you great pain should you ever upgrade or patch the system.

   If you want to change the manifest or method, copy them somewhere (say
to /opt/MailScanner, or better yet, create an /etc/MailScanner and put it
there), edit these files, and import the the new manifest to use the new
methods.

rf