SPARC Solaris 10?

Mike Tremaine mgt at stellarcore.net
Sun May 7 15:24:09 IST 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 12:02 +0100, mailscanner-
request at lists.mailscanner.info wrote:
> From: John Rudd <jrudd at ucsc.edu>
> Subject: Re: SPARC Solaris 10?
> To: MailScanner discussion <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
>

> In fall, I was trying to use the new x4100 boxes they have (which is
> Intel not Sparc, but it was still Solaris 10).  I couldn't get ANY
> perl
> modules to install via CPAN.  I wound up (after running dangerously
> close to my deliverable date) trading those machines with one of my
> peers, and took his 410's, and installing Solaris 8 on them instead.
>
> Once I get some spare time, I hope to sit down and just beat on
> Solaris
> 10 for a while (intel and sparc) ... but if it continues to be that
> degree of annoyance, I may decide it's more annoying than Linux (a
> _huge_ statement for me) and abandon Solaris 10 for some Linux distro.

Ouch :/... As I mentioned in my other post perlgcc is what you want. To
use CPAN you do

perlgcc -MCPAN -e shell

It's annoying to remember but Sun has it's own compiler that they use to
build everything including Perl so without this you will fail on all
builds with gcc [related to perl].

Also long as I'm typing I should also say you'll want to edit

/var/svc/manifest/network/smtp-sendmail.xml
and
/lib/svc/method/smtp-sendmail

If you want to to get MailScanner running from the sendmail startup
scripts.

Solaris 10 is nice, there is a learning curve involved in it but over
all I recommend using it on SPARC hardware that supports it. [ I'm not
Solaris X86 fan, you got X86 use a BSD or Linux ;) ]

Good Luck.

-Mike