Sophos v5

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Fri May 5 23:11:13 IST 2006

On 05.05.2006 18:44, Sam Luxford-Watts wrote:

>I am trying to upgrade our elderly MailScanner server. I am installing on
>CentOs4 and got most of it working except MS->Sophos.
>
>I have downloaded and installed Sophos 5.0.2. It installs fine using the
>sophos install.sh script. The one suggested in the Mailscanner docs is now
>outdated it seams. Sophos.install doesn’t work.

http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2006-March/059542.html
http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2006-March/059551.html

i have no problems with sav5.x except that i do not know how i can tell ms how to use it.

>Has anyone got MS working with Sophos v5.0.2? if so - how?

i did not tried, for now i have both installed.
- sav4.x for ms (Sophos.install)
- sav5.x for other use

i do not know, perhaps is  "generic"  a solution for sav5.x, some
help/hints would be great.
-  /etc/MailScanner/virus.scanners.conf
-  /usr/lib/MailScanner/generic-wrapper
-  /usr/lib/MailScanner/generic-autoupdate

savscan = sav5.x
sweep = sav3.x/4.x
savscan.base = sweep (see below)

a while ago i got some answers from sophos support:

<sophos support 1>

- die Optionen von sweep/savscan/savscan.base sind identisch
</sophos support 1>

my translation:  "the  sweep/savscan/savscan.base  options are identical"

<sophos support 2>
savscan.base is the 'sweep' binary, which is called by savscan with some
arguments (for example the location of the IDE files).

I would avoid playing around in the engine directory as it is not
something that anyone, especially customers should be playing with.
</sophos support 2>

roots crontab after sav5.x installation
<crontab update>
47 * * * * /opt/sophos-av/bin/savupdate