Phishing emails cause MailScanner to loop infinitely

Anthony Peacock a.peacock at chime.ucl.ac.uk
Thu May 4 16:41:18 IST 2006

Hi Jeff,

I had forgotten about your earlier email, I think I had got sidetracked
by the discussion about the Web Bug URL...

I have gone back through the archives and re-read your emails, and I
agree this sounds like the same issue.

I am wondering if it is an issue with the Df routines under Solaris...

Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> Anthony,
>
> Sounds like the same problem I discovered yesterday.  Both you and
> I are running Solaris (10 sparc for me), the Linux/BSD crowd hasn't
> seen this yet?
>
> Jeff Earickson
> Colby College
>
> On Thu, 4 May 2006, Anthony Peacock wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 14:53:56 +0100
>> From: Anthony Peacock <a.peacock at chime.ucl.ac.uk>
>> To: mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info
>> Subject: Phishing emails cause MailScanner to loop infinitely
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just had to back out of MS 4.53.7 to MS 4.52.2, because the MS
>> processes got stuck in a loop when they found a phishing email.
>>
>> I am running on Solaris 8 x86.
>>
>> After the upgrade all worked well for a while, and then I noticed that
>> the incoming queue was getting backed up.  When I looked at the logs
>> it appeared that the MS processes were looping around finding a
>> phishing email.
>>
>> I have attached a text file with the relevant log lines for one of the
>> processes.  In reality there were many MS processes stuck in these
>> loops for different phishing sites.
>>
>> I have saved some of the queue files that caused this and once things
>> have settled down may be able to test this in DEBUG mode.
>>
>> Backup off to MS 4.52.2 caused all of the queue to be processed
>> successfully.
>>
>> --
>> Anthony Peacock
>> CHIME, Royal Free & University College Medical School
>> WWW:    http://www.chime.ucl.ac.uk/~rmhiajp/
>> "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
>> discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny....'" -- Isaac Asimov
>> --

Anthony Peacock