Phishing emails cause MailScanner to loop infinitely

Anthony Peacock a.peacock at chime.ucl.ac.uk
Thu May 4 14:53:56 IST 2006

Hi,

I have just had to back out of MS 4.53.7 to MS 4.52.2, because the MS
processes got stuck in a loop when they found a phishing email.

I am running on Solaris 8 x86.

After the upgrade all worked well for a while, and then I noticed that
the incoming queue was getting backed up.  When I looked at the logs it
appeared that the MS processes were looping around finding a phishing email.

I have attached a text file with the relevant log lines for one of the
processes.  In reality there were many MS processes stuck in these loops
for different phishing sites.

I have saved some of the queue files that caused this and once things
have settled down may be able to test this in DEBUG mode.

Backup off to MS 4.52.2 caused all of the queue to be processed
successfully.

--
Anthony Peacock
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new