how to bock mailservers that have only an ip address

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Mon May 1 15:31:21 IST 2006

John Rudd wrote on Mon, 1 May 2006 03:18:31 -0700:

> Which doesn't answer the part about SMTP-AUTH.  Which was the important
> part, really.

I suppose you have to use delay_checks to make smtp-auth succeed as it is
with other sendmail recipes. I've never used that specific hack since I
felt there might be too many false positives and greylisting throws these
out, anyway, it seems.

> It is both alternative and complementary.  Depending on how you use it.

I agree with Jim. I think that both packages are really alternatives, not
complimentary. If you use both that means you double the memory usage and
since both are Perl based that means you need a *lot* of memory. Both
packages are similar in many aspects. I doesn't make too much sense for me
to run them both just to get that tiny fraction that is missing from one
of them. Other aspects which might make up your decision about using the
one or the other are ease of configuration (which I cannot assess, I
decided years ago to go with MailScanner and never had MimeDefang running,
but it were MailScanner and MimeDefang which were my competing
alternatives when I decided to drop MailCorral), update cycles/policy (as
above, again) and performance (and I think here's a clear advantage for
MailScanner: the more mail you get the better should MailScanner perform
in contrast to MimeDefang because it runs in queue mode and you can accept
mail all the time with the MTA whereas with a milter you have to spawn
another instance of it for every open connection). And, of course, there's
that basic decision: do you want to reject virus mail at MTA level or
quarantine it, just in case it got assessed wrong. Same thing with spam.
If one is so confident that the scoring/decision always is right then go
with rejecting at MTA level (=MimeDefang or amavisd), if one is not so
confident about it then quarantine it (=MailScanner).
I for one do it the following way: reject mainly because of "technical"
reasons at MTA level (which rejects around 70/80% of all mail, only around
3% of the remaining mail is spam or bad content) and quarantine because of
content.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany