how to bock mailservers that have only an ip address

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Mon May 1 15:31:21 IST 2006

Jim Holland wrote on Mon, 1 May 2006 13:45:08 +0200 (CAT):

> I wonder
> however if anyone has done any research into one aspect of the behaviour
> of some spammers: I suspect that when a spam message is rejected directly,
> they then pass the message off to a different server, using a round-robin
> approach and making multiple delivery attempts from different locations in
> the hope that eventually one of them will get through.  If this is indeed
> a significant element in spamming behaviour then the overall traffic load
> might be less by simply accepting spam and then quarantining it than by
> trying to reject it at MTA level.

My personal experience is that domains which accept everything (which
includes having a catch-all email alias) "attract" more spam than others.
This "experience" is not from a scientific study but just a gut feeling from
what I see with our customers from time to time, though.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany