Message Doubles

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 17:04:11 IST 2006

On 29/03/06, Drew Marshall <drew at themarshalls.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, March 29, 2006 14:45, spart cus wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  Im using mbox =( .
>
> Damn. Makes it a touch more difficult. Back to logs I am afraid. Basically
> you need to find two SMTP sessions with the same message id. Grep for the
> id rather than the sender and see what is turned up.
>
> > If its a MS problem what will i do ? Upgrade or some
> > tweak ?
>
> You have found a bug/ problem. As I have been running this set up for ages
> now (As have several others many with mail volumes much higher than mine)
> with out problem, I would be surprised if it is this.
>
> Drew

I don't think we have to go back to the logs, just use some
logic(:-)... We see two separate (by 20 minutes!) messages, possibly
containing the exact same message, being handled by smtpd/the header
checks... and then passed on to the hold queue. This is a very strong
indicator that it isn't your system that is having the problem
(although it has to handle the effects of the error), since this, in
all likelihood, couldn't happen unless those messages were handled in
two separate SMTP-conversations.

If you do happen to look at the logs, take just one of teh messages,
the first one, and look through the whole chain... is there _any_
errors indicated? Like a dropped connection? If you have logs split,
remember to look in the error and warning file too.

Are all the duplicates from the same sender/sending domain? If so,
call them... and inform them (in a nice manner:-) that they have a
problem to solve.
If not... Well, we'll get to that eventually:-).

--
-- Glenn