Problem on whitelist/blacklist rules

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Wed Mar 22 14:06:10 GMT 2006

No, you're overlooking the blacklist part. The whitelist "no" parm you used for "test" indicates that it is not whitelisted and must go through the normal steps of any other email. You need to add test to the blacklist to make it definitely spam.

You should use your example in a circumstance where you might whitelist an entire domain, but want only the "test" address "not" to be whitelisted. For example:

In whitelist file
FromOrTo:    test at domain.com    no
FromOrTo:    *@domain.com    yes

In blacklist file
FromOrTo:    test at domain.com    yes

This would exclude the "test" address from whitelisting but whitelist everyone else in that domain . The blacklist would make "test" definitely spam. The "no" in the white/black list is used mostly for exclusions, the "yes" is for inclusion, for the white or black list file it is inside of.

By removing both entries above from the whitelist and keeping the blacklist rule, you would be changing the strategy only for the *@domain.com , as now everyone but "test" would be required to pass your rules before it is delivered. As stands above, everyone but "test" automatically passes.

Clear? or more confusing?

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com
Charleston Newspapers