Upgrade only mailscanner & SA on Debian with apt-get?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 16:30:12 GMT 2006

On 20/03/06, Rob <rob at thehostmasters.com> wrote:

> Hello all... Hope your weekends were good...
>

> I want to upgrade to one of the latest Mailscanners and SA... according to
> my Debian i am running....

> Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems
> (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version        Description
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> ii  mailscanner    4.41.3-2       email virus scanner and spam tagger
> ii  spamassassin                  3.1.0a-1.dirk.31.1            Perl-based
> spam filter using text analysis
> ii  spamc                         3.1.0a-1.dirk.31.1            Client for
> SpamAssassin spam filtering daemon
>

> How can i upgrade just these packages?
>
> My applogies if this is off topic a bit....
>
> Thanks and have a  great day!
>
> Rob..

To go to the latest you need go (litteraly) to the source... Which
means to use Julians packages, more or less.

Never ever install a source package "over" a package-managed package.
Backup your settings (See the MAQ/Wiki for what needs be saved for
MS), erase those packages, get the MS and ClamAV+SA package from
www.mailscanner.info and follow the install instructions (in the
tarball/MAQ/Wiki), and manually "copy over" your config(s)... And say
"bye-bye" to apt for those subsystems:-).

Do read the MAQ (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=maq:index)
and install/upgrade parts under documentation, there is much good info
there.

--
-- Glenn