Default MTA for various distros

John Rudd jrudd at ucsc.edu
Sun Mar 19 21:51:13 GMT 2006

On Mar 18, 2006, at 3:04 PM, shuttlebox wrote:

> On 3/18/06, John Rudd <jrudd at ucsc.edu> wrote:
>> Only if you consider the most trivial aspects of an upgrade.
>>
>> In reality, in a non-trivial environment, it can take months to go
>> from
>> the start of an upgrade process to the completion of an upgrade.  In
>> that kind of environment, it can be nice to know that you wont have to
>> put one of those processes on your todo list for a few years.
>
> On an RPM based system for example an upgrade of OS release is not
> much more than a regular upgrade of packages. Do you do that every
> other year as well?
>
> I use test systems so I know what to expect, that can take some time
> but the actual upgrades don't take more than 30 minutes.
>
> I think it's no biggie doing an OS upgrade more often than every six
> years no matter how many and complex servers one has.

I, in fact, have systems on my network (but not my personal
responsibility area) which haven't been updated in any form in 6 years,
because the vendor stopped supplying any kind of updates or patches for
them.  The service they provide is too mission critical to retire them,
and the software they use cannot be put on a different platform.  There
is a project here working to migrate them to something else, but until
that's 100% finished (and the scope is significant) and fully tested,
the fact remains that they're mission critical.

Like I said, in a non-trivial environment, these things can happen, and
they matter.