sendmail/MS multiple outbound queues?

Greg Matthews gmatt at nerc.ac.uk
Fri Mar 10 16:53:11 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 10:16 -0500, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> Greg,
>
> What may be going on is the issue of multiple recipients in the
> To: line with different domains.  I found a message in my fast queue
> this morning going to a (nonresponsive) outside domain, where I
> want only "@colby.edu" messages in that queue.  Checking the
> syslogs, I found that the original message was going to:
>
> To: user1 at colby.edu, user2 at colby.edu, user3 at slowhost.com
>
> After the queue runner did its thing, the message got delivered to
> the two local addresses fast, but the message hung around in
> the fast queue still trying to deliver to slowhost.com.  From a
> "mailq" point of view, all I saw later was a single recipient
> message in the "wrong" queue.  This is probably what you see too.

hmmm... this definitely matches some cases that I see.

I think I see what the problem is now, most of the messages are
non-delivery messages. These must be generated automatically by sendmail
and therefore dont follow the rules (and dont get logged to mailwatch).

Apologies for blaming MS for this!

--
Greg Matthews           01491 692445
Head of UNIX/Linux, iTSS Wallingford