MailScanner SMTP question

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Mar 8 18:33:46 GMT 2006

Julian Field spake the following on 3/6/2006 3:00 AM:
> The one thing you can do to alleviate this with MailScanner is to use
> the "IPBlock" code within CustomConfig.pm. It only works with
> sendmail, if I remember correctly. You can put the maximum limit of
> email messages per hour that you accept from a domain or a block of
> IP addresses. Once it gets more messages that that from an address
> (or IP) it starts telling sendmail to block mail from that address.
> Once an hour the counters are reset.
>
> Not many people use this, which is why it isn't a core feature, but
> the person who asked me to write it makes great use of it.
>
> Fundamentally, this is really a job for you MTA, and not MailScanner
> at all. If you are using sendmail, then there are milters such as
> milter-ahead which will check the addresses it receives are real on
> your system, and rejects all messages that are being delivered to non-
> existent addresses. It is a lot faster than you might think it would
> be, as it does lots of caching, and it will reject a message long
> before the content of the message is transmitted. Thoroughly
> recommended. There are mailing list postings and Wiki pages that will
> tell you how to do something similar on other MTAs.
>
> On 6 Mar 2006, at 03:19, Laurent Dinclaux wrote:
Is there a free equivalent to Milter-ahead? Or does my copy I got "before" it
wasn't free still work? I have thought about implementing it, although I would
prefer LDAP (just don't have the time to get it working).
Now if I could find something to migrate a system from the old password/shadow
combination to LDAP, the world would be a better place!

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and