Carriage returns removed from text files

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 08:04:26 GMT 2006

On 02/03/06, Jon Bates <jon.bates at summitmotors.com.au> wrote:

> Using MailScanner 4.50.14 + Sendmail + Spamassassin
>
> Issue:
>
> A user sends a properly formatted text file (paragraphed etc) as an
> attachment to an email. The receiver gets the email with the attachment, but
> the text file has been reformatted. All of the carriage returns are removed,
> and replaced with rectangle-like symbols, and all of the text appears on a
> single line. This happens with every single text file I have tried.
>
> I've tried removing users from the content scanning in the hope that this is
> what is causing the issues, but nothing works.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
>
> Thanks
>
> - Jon Bates

Hi Jon,

IIRC this is due to a not-that-easy-to-get-at bug in a supporting perl
module, and affects all messages that MailScanner rewrites in some way
(like your spiffy "company disclaimer" below). So a simple thing to
test is to make a ruleset exception to adding that ... Might make a
difference). At least that is what my feeble memory is telling me, I
might be completely wrong too...:-)

> -----------
>
> This message has been scanned for viruses and inappropriate content or
> attachments as deemed by Summit Investment Australia P/L and is believed to be
> clean.
>
> Although Summit Investment Australia has taken reasonable precautions to
> ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept
> responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or
> attachments.
>
> All messages scanned by MailScanner

Cheers
--