Gateway mode for Communigate Pro

John Rudd jrudd at ucsc.edu
Wed Jun 28 03:00:18 IST 2006

Why not use CommuniGate Pro's existing anti-virus and anti-spam
plugins?  With the new version of CGP, you can even do these checks
during the SMTP session.

For free plugins:   CGPAV works with multiple virus scanners (including
ClamAV).
                     CGPSA does Spam Assassin

For pay: CommuniGate's page gives 2 commercial AntiSpam plugins
(Cloudmark and one other), and 3 or 4 AntiVirus plugins (Sophos,
Kaspersky, McAfee, and I think one other).

For attachment blocking, there's a plugin that adds a header for
attachment names in the message, and then you can write CGP server
rules to reject, discard, etc. messages depending upon what that header
contains.

(I also used to have some scripts that allowed you to use MailScanner
with CGP directly, but they never got integrated into MailScanner, and
I don't support them anymore ... but some other people on the list
might still have copies of them running)

As for your concern about scanning _every_ piece of mail that comes
through the system, it's trivial to set up CGP to exempt different
messages from scanning (whether you're using my MailScanner
integration, or the other plugins).  For example, you can exempt if the
message was submitted via SMTP-AUTH, from a trusted IP address, if it's
smaller than a certain size, if the time is between 1am and 1:05am,
etc.  The rules are pretty comprehensive and flexible (though, they
don't yet do full regular expression matching, just * wildcarding, so
it's not quite as good as procmail's rule structure).

Running it directly on the CGP system means you don't have the problem
invalid usernames.  But if you still want to run it on a separate
machine, you could always use milter-ahead on your MailScanner box to
be sure the username is valid on the end system.

(if you want to have 2 CGP systems, one for scanning and one for direct
user use, CGP can do something like milter-ahead as well, so you'd set
that up on the scanning system)

Unlike what someone else suggested ... if your client wants to keep
running CGP, I wouldn't try to pull that out from under them.

Feel free to ask me questions off-list.

John