can we block mails with perticular subject line

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Jun 25 16:01:50 IST 2006

On Sun25 Jun 06, at 01:46, Res wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Julian Field wrote:
>>
>> The reason that MailScanner doesn't do this is that I also
>> consider it part of SpamAssassin's job. You can't just do simple
>> keyword checking due to all the words that will trigger false
>> alars, think of little birds called "blue tits" and a place in
>> England called "Scunthorpe". So you need a score-based system
>> looking for likely-sounding words. There already is one of those,
>> and it is very good too. It's called SpamAssassin.
>>
>> So please don't expect this feature to appear any time soon...
>
> I modified all of our sendmail boxes to use regex in subject years
> ago they work fine, i'll try a program someone else mentioned here
> recently that qmail can use, pitty if an mta can do it with what we
> beleive to be 0.01% false hits, MS cant :) oh well. life goes on

There are a few practical problems, such as how to encode spaces and
tabs and stuff like that in a configuration option. And what would I
actually report? The current reporting emails contain the original
subject. Doing this in MailScanner would be cool, I guess, but there
are all sorts of practical problems doing it. And what would you
actually want to do with the message contents? I guess you want to do
similar handling to spam.

I guess it could be a list of regexps which caused a message to be
spam. But it would also have to replace the subject line, so it's not
just straight spam.

This would be a real mess to implement, and SpamAssassin is far
better at it anyway. It's dead easy to write a few SpamAssassin rules
to do the simple stuff you are trying to do.

So I'm still going to leave it to SpamAssassin, sorry.

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.