Always Looked Up Last

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Fri Jun 23 03:38:57 IST 2006

Julian Field wrote:
> Around line 815 on Config.pm, just after the line that logs the warning
> "Make sure the module is correct", add this:
> $StaticScalars{$key} = $Defaults{$key};
> That should force it to replace the Custom Function with the default
> value instead, so calls to the Custom Function should be replaced by a
> simple lookup.
>
> Give it a go and let me know if it helps.

Julian,
That appears to be a good fix. I duplicated the problem and I can see
messages flowing through the the outbound queue after applying your
change. So if this happens again at least the mail will not stop.

Thank you, very much.

Below is what I sent to the MW list describing what I found. Any
additional input is welcomed. It's been another sysadmin kinda day, time
to sleep.

MailScanner in debug mode shows no errors. Poking around in MailWatch.pm
it would seem like InitConnection was failing. Adding some logging
showed exactly that. So I shut down MailScanner and checked, sure enough
netstat shows I have a listener on 127.0.0.1.11553.

I changed $server_port to 21553 and logging is started up! The question
remains what is listening on port 11553, and why is it there?

#sockstat | grep 11553
root     perl5.8. 90509    7 tcp4   127.0.0.1:11553       *:*
root     perl5.8. 90509    9 tcp4   127.0.0.1:1145        127.0.0.1:11553

#ps -ax | grep 90509
bash-2.05b# ps -ax | grep 90509
90509  ??  S      0:08.96 MailScanner: finishing batch (perl5.8.8)

So do I have an orphaned MailScanner child? A runaway MailWatch
listener? It's now over my head. I did not stop it yet in case someone
has a magical command to make it provide us with more information.
Oddly, both servers suffered the same issue within an hour of each
other, and both servers show the same state.

DAve

> On Thu22 Jun 06, at 21:31, DAve wrote:
>
>> I got hit this morning with an issue where the MailWatch logging
>> script failed and MailScanner ground to a halt. Is there a way I can
>> make MailScanner ignore a failure to load a CustomFunction and
>> continue on?
>>
>> The error in the logs was,
>> Jun 22 10:42:19 avhost1 MailScanner[90509]: Could not use Custom
>> Function code MailScanner::CustomConfig::InitMailWatchLogging, it
>> could not be "eval"ed. Make sure the module is correct with perl -wc
>>
>> Not done troubleshooting yet, the system has been running 18 days so I
>> know that MS has restarted, no changes have been made in that time
>> either. I've confirmed that DBI is working with a short per script, so
>> I don't believe that is the issue.
>>
>> If MailScanner would have just stopped loading MailWatch.pm and
>> continued as normal (Always Looked Up Last = no) I would be in a
>> better place right now.
>>
>> I'll take a look at it, but I'm a Perl >= Bash guy, no real experience
>> with Perl in the application area. I could use a leg up.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> DAve
>>
>> PS. Julian, my feature request for MS would be that it passes over
>> third party functions that fail to load ;^)

Veterans?