Always Looked Up Last

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jun 22 22:05:29 IST 2006

Around line 815 on Config.pm, just after the line that logs the
warning "Make sure the module is correct", add this:
$StaticScalars{$key} = $Defaults{$key};
That should force it to replace the Custom Function with the default
value instead, so calls to the Custom Function should be replaced by
a simple lookup.

Give it a go and let me know if it helps.

On Thu22 Jun 06, at 21:31, DAve wrote:

> I got hit this morning with an issue where the MailWatch logging
> script failed and MailScanner ground to a halt. Is there a way I
> can make MailScanner ignore a failure to load a CustomFunction and
> continue on?
>
> The error in the logs was,
> Jun 22 10:42:19 avhost1 MailScanner[90509]: Could not use Custom
> Function code MailScanner::CustomConfig::InitMailWatchLogging, it
> could not be "eval"ed. Make sure the module is correct with perl -wc
>
> Not done troubleshooting yet, the system has been running 18 days
> so I know that MS has restarted, no changes have been made in that
> time either. I've confirmed that DBI is working with a short per
> script, so I don't believe that is the issue.
>
> If MailScanner would have just stopped loading MailWatch.pm and
> continued as normal (Always Looked Up Last = no) I would be in a
> better place right now.
>
> I'll take a look at it, but I'm a Perl >= Bash guy, no real
> experience with Perl in the application area. I could use a leg up.
>
> Thanks,
>
> DAve
>
> PS. Julian, my feature request for MS would be that it passes over
> third party functions that fail to load ;^)
>
> --
> Three years now I've asked Google why they don't have a
> logo change for Memorial Day. Why do they choose to do logos
> for other non-international holidays, but nothing for
> Veterans?
>
> Maybe they forgot who made that choice possible.

Julian Field

believed to be clean.