Strange load situation

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Jun 15 18:16:38 IST 2006

Greg,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Matthews" <gmatt at nerc.ac.uk>
To: "MailScanner discussion" <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 12:17 PM
Subject: Re: Strange load situation

> Steve Campbell wrote:
>>
>> Here's the thing though, the load escalation has just started occuring
>> recently. Everything used to run smoothly. My next restep was to be a
>> reboot, and still may be if the current situation isn't permanent. It
>> can't hurt.
>
> check the mail you are getting carefully, you may be being targetted
> especially if you dont reject unknown mailboxes.
>
> Have you talked to anyone offerring to sell you hosted email services
> recently? am I paranoid...? ;)

The load average is now back to between 4+ and 7, so I'm not sure if things
are good or not yet.

I'm not sure how to reject email for unknown users up front at the MTA,
although sendmail reports "Unknown user" messages all day. I do not run
anything like milter-ahead or milter-sender, and am not sure how to do this
without one of those. This machine is also a secondary MX for a couple of
other mailhubs, so it gets slammed, and without one of those milters,
there's not much I can do.

I am getting hit pretty hard by a .netzero.com thing. They are all being
listed as spam, but it would be nice to block them up front in the access
table. I just don't know if anyone receives mail from a real netzero user,
and this wouldn't save a copy. They are all from varying IPs, so its hard to
figure out how to do this without damage.

Thanks though,

Steve