Strange load situation

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Thu Jun 15 15:34:11 IST 2006

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Steve Campbell wrote:

> Can anyone indicate they have seen similar results? I'm not real
> concerned yet, at least not until I see that it's not going to catch up.
> The purge seemed to have been working, but I thought maybe there was a
> little bit too much in the maillog table - turns out not so. This would
> almost indicate it's better to slow down my MS scan interval and let
> more messages per batch be scanned per child, or maybe lower my messages
> per batch.

When I first installed MailScanner in a large environment, I found I had
to juggle the numbers relating to number of messages per batch, number of
processed, and max size of batch, to reach a happy medium where it
processed messages quickly to not let them build up, but without spawning
so many processes that machine got bogged down switching between them.  I
certainly found that too many MailScanner processes was detrimental.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services
University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK