Setting Up DNSBL using RBLDNSD

Aaron K. Moore amoore at dekalbmemorial.com
Thu Jun 15 14:07:56 IST 2006

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight Solutions wrote:
> Has anyone any tips on doing this?
>
> I do not want to mirror existing data (I already am :) )
>
> I want to setup my own DNSBL to catch the junk that the other DNSBLS
> miss..

Check out these sites.  www.corpit.ru is the main site for rbldnsd.  I
got some help off of the rbldnsd mailing list when setting it up here a
week or so ago.

http://www.corpit.ru/mjt/rbldnsd.html

http://www.corpit.ru/mjt/rbldnsd/rbldnsd.8.html

http://www.tqmcube.com/rbldnsd.php

> The only tutorials / guides I've found either refer explicitly to
> Bind or make reference to  rbldns-conf, which doesn't appear to exist
> on Ubuntu

I compiled and installed it from the source.  Rbldnsd only takes it's
configuration information on the command line, so you'll probably want
to create your own startup script.

I have some custom code that I've added to MailScanner that stores
information about mail processed by MailScanner which has been
classified as spam or having viruses.  I then have another program that
checks those log entries and generates a blacklist in rbldnsd format.

--
Aaron Kent Moore
Information Technology Services
E-mail:  amoore at dekalbmemorial.com