Who does RBL checks - MailScanner or SpamAssassin?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Jun 14 18:54:30 IST 2006

John Rudd spake the following on 6/13/2006 7:25 PM:

>> On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Dhawal Doshy wrote:
>>>
>>> Most of us run servers that pretty much do serious work ;-).. to each
>>> his/her way. You can use RBLs at:
>>>
>>> SpamAssassin: Best way to use RBLs as per my POV.. the bad part being
>>> that mails originating from ROKSO (spamhaus) are accepted and then
>>> tagged.
>
> Sorry to reply to this so late, but, IMO, the best way to use RBLs is:
>
> a) do SBL and XBL at the MTA, so that you're NOT accepting ROKSO
> originating emails.
>
> b) use those RBLs, plus any others you want to (RFC-Ignorant, etc.) in
> Spam Assassin to mark messages.
>

> Step a reduces your SA load, and completely rejects messages that you
> can be better than 99% sure are spam.  Step b lets you leverage RBLs to
> help tag any other possible spam sources, but without outright rejecting
> them.

Exactly how I do it.
But sbl+xbl seems to give more FP's in the eastern european and pacific rim
areas. If you don't normally have contact with those regions, then this
suggestion works well. I reject at least 50% of my load at the MTA.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and