Who does RBL checks - MailScanner or SpamAssassin?

John Rudd jrudd at ucsc.edu
Wed Jun 14 03:25:50 IST 2006

> On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Dhawal Doshy wrote:
>>
>> Most of us run servers that pretty much do serious work ;-).. to each
>> his/her way. You can use RBLs at:
>>
>> SpamAssassin: Best way to use RBLs as per my POV.. the bad part being
>> that mails originating from ROKSO (spamhaus) are accepted and then
>> tagged.

Sorry to reply to this so late, but, IMO, the best way to use RBLs is:

a) do SBL and XBL at the MTA, so that you're NOT accepting ROKSO
originating emails.

b) use those RBLs, plus any others you want to (RFC-Ignorant, etc.) in
Spam Assassin to mark messages.

Step a reduces your SA load, and completely rejects messages that you
can be better than 99% sure are spam.  Step b lets you leverage RBLs to
help tag any other possible spam sources, but without outright
rejecting them.