Startup script question

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jun 14 16:31:21 IST 2006

On 14 Jun 2006, at 11:32, Levin wrote:

> shuttlebox wrote:
>> On 6/14/06, Levin <levin at mydream.com.hk> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My mailbox running a sendmail MTA as a relay-only gateway, I setup a
>>> mailscanner up and run, however I found out that if it state
>>> DeliveryMode=queueonly  in /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner script, all
>>> incoming from from otherworld will stuck into /var/spool/
>>> mqueue.in and
>>> not go anywhere, also /var/log/maillog show the mail was queued NOT
>>> sent, so I modify it to DeliveryMode=background, it seems work...
>>> but I
>>> don't know anything wrong, would you please describe a little bit my
>>> statement?
>>
>> This page describes well what needs to be done with Sendmail.
>>
>> http://mailscanner.info/sendmail.html
>>
>> The main thing is that the listening Sendmail process does not
>> deliver, instead MailScanner intercepts the message in the incoming
>> queue and when it has processed it it places it in the outgoing queue
>> where the other (delivering) Sendmail process takes care of it and
>> sends it on its way.
> Thanks, so if the DeliveryMode=background, will MailScanner/
> sendmail bypassed any detection process?

No, the default sendmail command to start the incoming sendmail
process is
         $SENDMAIL -bd -OPrivacyOptions=noetrn \
                       -ODeliveryMode=queueonly \
                       -OQueueDirectory=$INQDIR \
                       -OPidFile=$INPID

It's the 'DeliveryMode' setting which controls what it is going to
do, as you can see above. But if you omit this setting, then
MailScanner will be totally bypassed.

But don't take my word as gospel!

--
Julian Field