force autolearn

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 18:34:46 IST 2006

On 13/06/06, Dave <wintermutecx at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/13/06, Drew Marshall <drew at themarshalls.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Tue, June 13, 2006 16:54, Dave wrote:
> > > I've been hit with a dictionary attack for generic accounts like uucp,
> > > accounts, home, sales, etc. I have never used or plan to use these
> > > accounts. Right now I have a rule that adds 5 to the score if sent to
> > > those accounts but I would like to have them autolearned as well. From
> > > what I've read, custom rules are not used in the autolearn threshold
> > > count. Is that true?
> >
> > Why not just reject these (And all other unknown users) at your MTA? Save
> > all the processing overhead and protect your server from a really big
> > directory attack.
>
>  I don't deliver mail with a spam score greater then 6, nor are they
> rejected. Does Mailscanner check to see if it's a valid user before
> spam scoring?
No, but you can teach your MTA how to do it (be it Postfix, Exim or
Sendmail.... Well, the latter may need a milter to do it:)... After
all, the mails are clearly not for you/your users, and (if it is a
real MTA sending) it'll be safe to reject, since the sender will then
generate an NDN to the sender... You have no obligation (at all) to
handle these. So don't, by rejecting them.

--
-- Glenn